Procedure change for Windows Security and Cumulative Updates
- Encourage Deployment of Windows cumulative and security updates on your schedule, not ours
- Continue to ask that Feature updates be held until we have a change to thoroughly test in house
- Win 10 2004 to 20H2; Win 10 1909 to 2004 etc
- Keeping Windows up to date is a key component to security
Why have we updated our policy?
We have adjusted our policy on Windows updates and security patches and encourage you to deploy them as you see fit. We do not want to hold up a team from applying potential security fixes. We went back and looked historically and updates and patches do not cause significant issues with Thunder.
- Maintaining secure systems
- Historical comfort with past Security and Cumulative updates
- Software updates in the event of an issue which results from a Windows update
- Still hold on Feature updates(bi-annual) until Catapult verifies
Q: Will I still receive emails with approved monthly windows updates?
A: No, you will no longer receive emails. We encourage you to deploy updates as Microsoft releases them as it fits you, your IT department and your coaches schedules.
Q: Is this for Laptops, Desktops and Servers?
A: Yes, all systems running windows should be kept as up to date as possible.
Q: What if an update causes an issue with Thunder?
A: Often the tools are already in place for our support team to correct an issue, however in the unlikely event that support cannot assist, the development team will address the issue in a timely manner and release a new Thunder build that corrects the issue.
Q: Are there any recommended configurations for deploying the windows updates?
A: Yes, we have a handful of ‘best practices’. Please see the windows update best practices sheet(below)
- Do not include drivers
- Run RUST after running updates
- Ensure feature updates (operating system updates like 20h2, 21h2, etc) are supported with support. The latest Thunder Release Notes will explain what operating systems are supported
- Scheduling the installation of updates after hours
- Ensure server reboots post update are coordinated with the video staff and coaching staff
Please sign in to leave a comment.